13 September 2017

SINGAPORE: Work pass applications must meet housing requirements 

As of 14 September 2018, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) will be issuing work passes only to those applicants whose residential addresses comply with the housing regulations for foreign workers.  The work pass applicants living in Housing Development Board (HDB) flats are also required to submit their tenancy agreements before obtaining their passes.

The key housing requirements for foreign workers include the following:

  1. Private residential unit – can be occupied by no more than six people 
  2. Public housing (flats managed by HDB):
  • One-room and two-room flats – can be occupied by no more than four people;
  • Three-room flat and above – can be occupied by no more than six people;
  • Bedrooms in one and two-room flats are not permitted for rent, but one bedroom in three-room flat and maximum two rooms in four-bedroom flat may be rented out
  • It’s not permitted to sublet flats rented from HDB

In addition, employers are required to notify MOM of residential address change by their foreign workers. For Employment and S Pass holders the authorities must be notified within 14 days, and for Work Permit holders within 5 days.

How does this affect the client?

Employers should ensure to comply with these new requirements to avoid delays in work pass issuance. Failure to comply can result in a fine of up to SGD 10,000 and/or imprisonment of representatives of the employer. 





You are here: Home Immigration Singapore Work pass applications must meet housing requirements